Author Topic: 🎄 Christmas  (Read 11582 times)

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
Re: 🎄 Christmas
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 01:02:04 PM »
Karen that tree idea sounds amazing! I did have a smile though when you described decorating the tree and then it says you top it off with teacakes and a toasting fork! Till I reread it correctly! :smiley:

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 10:38:15 PM »
I like the popcorn idea. It just so happens I have loads of bags of microwave popcorn somebody gave to me so that is a strong possibility. (My daughter destroyed our microwave last week by cooking popcorn for too long so I will have to be careful with the new one)

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 07:34:48 PM »
That's true we do worry and build up stress,but that isn't always negative.I always take our wedding anniversay off work so even that has to have a preplanning element.The first one I didn't know what to do with myself but I knew whatever it was I couldn't try to ignore it.By the second one i had moved and started the garden.There is a secluded corner that i resolved to make a memory corner so on the lead up too it i cleared it out and built a little fountain so that on the day it was ready for planting,I went to buy them in the morning and planted it up in the afternoon so by evening it was done.If I hadn't preplanned I might have just ended up with a heap of tear soaked mud,but having the pre planned programme meant I got through the day and had achieved something positive at the end of it.

I had a little smile earlier reading your post about your Xmas meal timings hubby,it reminded me of my mum.I was doing dinner but my brother and his family were coming.I was making soup but his kids who were frankly a bit bratty  would only eat certain brand chicken soup,so my mum said she would bring that and she would make rum sauce for the pudding.Trying to be helpful she heated them up and put them in flasks.Everyone else was having the homemade soup so
only when I got to serving pudding and poured the rum sauce into a jug did I realise how lumpy and odd it looked.
It was chicken soup,she had served rum sauce to the kids.Luckily I had a packet of instant custard in the cupboard.We never mentioned it,and the kids didn't either.Possibly because they slept until home time.She swore it wasn't a deliberate mistake.I only believe her because I know she was obsessed with not wasting food. :rofl:

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 11:19:35 PM »
I discussed Christmas with my daughters today and we have decided that we will all go to my youngests house for xmas dinner as being here would just feel wrong without Margaret. Hopefully being somewhere different will stop it becoming too everwhelming.

I did have a bit of a laugh before when we remembered Margarets Christmas dinners. Something always went wrong it got forgotten.  There was the year the giblets were still in the turkey, the year we found the sprouts on Boxing Day (nobody noticed they were missing off the dinner), the time the turkey wouldn't fit in the oven and many others but he best one was when Margaret plated everything up and sat down herself pleased that she had finally remembered everything for once. Nobody dared mention she had forgotten to put the turkey on the plates.  :rofl:

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 10:13:25 AM »
That made me chuckle Hubby! You'll have to make sure that something is forgotten this year!

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 10:32:02 PM »
I'm sure we will.  :whistle:

Offline masie

• New Members
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 03:07:08 PM »
Hi,
I have not been able to put a tree up since mum passed, that was about 5 years ago. its not the same to me. I was going to try this year . but will see nearer December.
thats so funny about the dinner Hubby.
Masie

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 03:46:43 PM »
Ive booked a cottage in Masham this year family in a big house in the same bilkage  but i need my own space will be joining them for dinners  though, im hoping the cottage ive rented is already de orated or im afraid ill be a bah humbug xx

:hug:
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2016, 04:21:05 PM »
Masham is gorgeous,you won't need decorations,the views will be enough especially if you get real snow.
Maisie,it is early yet.
This year I,m going to south Africa so totally different experience,absolutely no snow. :rofl:.

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2016, 07:05:59 PM »
Masie- maybe try putting up a little live tree that is already decorated, a miniature conifer like you can see in the supermarkets or garden centres?

Offline pennyking

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2016, 09:16:01 PM »
I put up my decorations after the 10th (anniversary of losing hubby).  Used to enjoy my decorations, but do it for the boys now.  Don't have any enjoyment out of them anymore.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2016, 09:19:44 PM »
You can't beat a stay in a cottage.

I'll be putting decorations up but only for the sake of my grandson. He's fascinated by baubles and I just know he's going to pull some bodies tree over this year.

It's going to be mine isn't it?  :undecided:

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 09:43:34 PM »
my grandson. He's fascinated by baubles and I just know he's going to pull some bodies tree over this year

Mines just the same Hubby, you'd think that at 24 he'd have grown out of it......  :rofl:
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2016, 10:14:11 PM »
My daughters now wondering why I'm laughing out loud George.  :rofl:

Thanks for that. Cheered me up no end  :smiley:

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2016, 02:35:45 PM »
Oh George that was funny- thank you I needed that!  :rofl: