Author Topic: Grieving while travelling  (Read 3729 times)

Offline mia

• New Members
Grieving while travelling
« on: August 26, 2016, 08:02:10 AM »
Hi guys, I've just posted to introduce myself on the new member thread.

I've been travelling around southeast Asia for 3 months now. It's a great experience but also a challenging one. I'm not able to have any "time off" to hide away from the world or just watch something on tv and certainly not to cry. I'm starting to feel exhausted. Today I've decided to chill out in the hostel while my travel buddy does canyoning (it's not my thing). There's never any space to myself. When I travel long distances on buses or trains I have the most time to think and miss my partners. I can't really talk about this properly with you because I don't want to start crying, the staff are in my dorm trying to fix electrics. Just wanted to talk to someone who understands
Mia

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Grieving while travelling
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 08:35:09 AM »
Sending you a welcome hug mia xx :hug:

Its always hard trying to control our feelings and put on a brave face to the world  xx
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 09:23:55 AM »
It does help to have some privacy/time we can 'hide' briefly and process our thoughts. Not easy when travelling. Not sure I have any ideas which would help
Sending a hug  :hug: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 11:03:54 AM »
Hello Mia- you sound very brave for travelling in the first place! I have no experience of this I'm afraid- are there any places you go to where there is somewhere quiet you can sit for some time- somewhere peaceful and tranquil?

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 01:32:15 PM »
I agree with Julie try and slip away even if its just round the corner from activitys  (somewhere safe of course,) and give yourself some breathing space,nature is a great healer.

Offline mia

• New Members
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 03:17:14 PM »
Thanks loads guys. I'll try to slip away, maybe I can in a couple of days time. I find if I sit in a park in a city locals always come and talk to me to practice their English, it's sweet really. Today I was trying to sit and read but I got roped in to making spring rolls with the hostel owner. I need to spend the next two days travelling as my visa runs out for Vietnam, then I will be in a city in Cambodia, but I will just visit the one thing I want to do there then head to an island to chill out for a bit. That's my plan. I could do with a private room but I can't afford it!

I had thought that maybe being away from home and all those memories everywhere would be so distracting that I wouldn't be sad, but of course it's not that simple. Just seeing the cows, I know it sounds silly but Joe loved cows and these asian cows have such lovely soft faces.

Hugs back to all of you

Offline CornishDave

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 05:01:18 PM »
Mia, my heart goes out to you life has not been too kind to you recently! I agree with the last two posters that you do need to find some "me" time when you can. Having said that keeping busy and throwing yourself into work will I suspect keep your mind occupied. I hope that in the not too distant future you will find a new partner and long term happiness.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 11:44:48 PM »
It must be hard trying to grieve with no space of your own to hide in. We all wear our masks in public but I'm sure most on here will agree that we let our emotions take over in private. That's why we think we aren't coping with bereavement as well as others do when, in reality, we are coping every bit as well. We just don't see them not coping.

Keeping yourself occupied only goes so far. The emotions will come out. I hope you can make some time and space to let them.

Stay strong.  :hug: