Author Topic: Anticipatory Grief  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Jo-UK

Anticipatory Grief
« on: May 05, 2016, 07:41:13 PM »
Hello,

As I write this my wonderful father is dying. He became very suddenly ill a month ago with an extremely rare brain condition which has progressed unbelievably quickly. We are told he has a couple of weeks, he is now unable to walk or speak.

My Dad is one of my best friends and my absolute rock in life. I can't imagine how I will cope without him. I am 30 and he is 67.

I am so worried about my lovely mum who will be without him. My brother and sister seem to be coping better than I am, I'm struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

So I'm just reaching out with this message, any words of encouragement gratefully received.

Jo :candle:

Offline pennyking

• VIP Member
Re: Anticipatory Grief
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 09:09:17 PM »
Hi Jo and welcome.  I'm so sorry you have needed to find us.  Sending you hugs at this sad time.  Penny x

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 09:18:14 PM »
It's very hard Jo. I hope that you are able over the coming months to find the inner strength that you will need to support your mum indeed that you are all able to help one another. It's a stressful time ahead for you and it's family that counts.
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline rajahh

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 10:20:08 PM »
You are at the beginning of a long journey, not even entering the tunnel really, but approaching it. However you do use the word tunnel, and that in itself is very positive because you already know that there is an exit as well as an entrance to this tunnel.

Sometimes in the tunnel we feel we are standing still, even retracing our steps but in the end we do see the light and comeback out into the world.

We are changed by our journey but we have also grown during our travels.

Many inexperienced people may say " how do you cope?"  The answer is we have no choice, we do not choose  we just "get on  with it"  and we do cope in our own way.

You will get support here , keep coming on and talking to us.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 10:40:07 PM »
Hi jo.

I am very sorry to hear of your fathers illness.  :hug:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 10:42:34 PM »
Sending a welcome hug  :hug: I suddenly lost my dad and it's hard, its a rollercoaster journey but you are not alone here xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx