Author Topic: Hobbies - Sewing  (Read 3720 times)

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Hobbies - Sewing
« on: April 11, 2016, 06:39:42 PM »
Hi all

With my ever increasing hobbies (Im always intrigued and like giving new stuff a go) I've decided to embark on making a top.  I hand sewn a little pouch to go in my bag, which i was really pleased with so thought I would venture into clothing.  Found a pattern for a top, which also matches one of my favourite styles.

Then I opened it up and looked inside.... I understand the sizing (10, 12, etc) yet I swear everything else is written in a foreign language - all sorts of numbers!!  Eeek!  May take me a while lol

If there are any seamstresses here, all advice gratefully received!!!  Xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Hobbies - Sewing
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 07:23:30 PM »
That's really adventurous of you from memory the size is the cutting line the lines differ solid/dashed.Not sure about the numbers but is it a multiple pattern with more than one garment if so does a number relate to the pattern you chose.alternatively is it pieces I think they used to be letters join front A to sleeve B. Maybe see if there are instructions online they used to be on the packet the pattern came with.For a first attempt it might be an idea to do a dummy run with fabric use an old sheet or something rather than cutting into nice new stuff.

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 07:45:40 PM »
Chris was an avid seamstress since she was a child. If you get into sewing you might find it taking over  :laugh:. After she died, I sold both her machines and all her odds and ends because unfortunately neither of my daughters ever took to it and it seemed pointless having several thousand £'s worth of stuff lying around. When we were 'courting' and also newly married, Chris made a lot of clothes for me, shirts, trousers etc and she always made her own clothes. Last few years she packed that in complaining that she couldn't buy the material let alone all the cottons, zips, buttons etc. at anywhere near the price that the finished article cost in the shops. She took up quilting but still made the odd dress for fun and she was also the family curtain, bedding, soft furnishing and repairs consultant. One of her favourite 'tricks' was when someone said they had a favourite dress, slacks or whatever and they'd like another but they were no longer available. She'd take whatever it was upstairs make a quick paper pattern and a day or two later present the new dress to whoever wanted it - never failed to amaze  :heart:.  Good luck with it.
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Cairo

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 08:37:15 PM »
I do quite a bit of sewing so if you can explain what you don't understand maybe I can help.

Each piece of the pattern will have a number on it, and inside the envelope there should be sewing directions. On this you'll see which number pieces you need to use. Sometimes you need different numbers for lining, or if there are different designs in one pattern. There will also be cutting diagrams for the different sizes and different widths of fabric.

If it's a multi-size pattern you have to identify which lines to use for cutting. There will be little V shapes that are called notches that you have to mark or cut out. You match these up when you put the pieces of the garment together. There will also be dots probably to mark the 'darts' which are triangular bits that you see to give it shape around the bust.

Do you belong to a library? If so, why not take out a book on sewing? I'm sure they'll have one and with pictures to make it easier to understand.
~~~~~~~~
I will survive.
~~~~~~~~

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 11:09:30 PM »
Just a thought - there's a sewing club meets once a week in our village in the Parish Hall. It's an ideal way not only to get started but also to progress. Perhaps there's something similar in your area.
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 12:14:14 PM »
Thanks all  :hearts:
I'll take a couple of pictures and it may make sense :-)
Unfortunately I think a club/group wouldn't work for me at the moment, working full time and studying. There is a library near work so could have a look in there though. I definitely intend to search YouTube too. I think I will be OK once I get going :-)

Xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx