Author Topic: Hey  (Read 1977 times)

Offline WhiteLillies

• New Members
Hey
« on: April 11, 2019, 09:00:01 PM »
Hi All,

I've just joined following my 6th bereavement in seven years. It started with the suicide of a parent and I've since lost 4 other close relatives, a family friend and a friend. The most recent (a relative) was last week and I just don't know what to do with myself. Nothing feels normal. How I feel doesn't feel normal. And everyone wants me to be happy but I feel awful but then I feel guilty for feeling awful.

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Hey
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 09:18:29 PM »
So sorry, Whitelillies. With so many losses one after the other over such a relatively short period, I don't wonder you don't feel normal or happy! I don't think you should expect yourself to and I certainly don't think you should feel guilty about that. Grief, even for one person, goes on for the rest of your life, even if it improves at times, but it never really leaves you. Grief for so many losses in such a relatively few years must be weighing you down terribly and the weight of it all must feel crushing. I am so sorry.

It really is ok not to feel normal or happy. You have no duty to meet the expectations of others. You will feel however you feel and that is OK. It will take you a long time to  recover or you may never fully recover and that is OK too. However you feel and however you seek to help yourself to recover is OK.

Be patient and kind to yourself and don't try to be what others might want you to be. All you can do is your best, however you feel. If you feel terrible, then just accept that that day you feel terrible. Tomorrow may be better. I hope it will be, but one day at a time is the only way to deal with this awful experience that is grief. Tiny steps forward when you can is probably how we all move forward, and that is ok too. Even steps backwards are Ok! You will get there and find a way through this, but there is no road map and no time limit. You just have to find your way, but find it you will and I hope that having found your way here, helps with that journey. We are here for as long as you need us. We are going through it too, so we understand how you feel and how hard this is. Hopefully that will give you support and comfort too.

Sending you a welcome hug and strength.. :hearts: :hug:

Offline WhiteLillies

• New Members
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 09:34:47 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply. Just hearing someone else validate my feelings / experience feels like a huge weight has been lifted. I'm really desperately trying to carry on as normal around everyone else, it's just so hard. Finding others who understand is a relief..

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 10:05:34 PM »
That's how I felt when I found this place, Whitelillies. I cried tears of relief just reading 'hello, so sorry for your loss'. It was, as you say, like a weight lifting off my shoulders to find somewhere, where people understand and feel the same.

I hope that weight continues to grow lighter and that you come to understand, as I have, that to be sad and to struggle with what we are all going through here is actually normal and alright, however long it may take to feel any better.

I don't think it is the fault of those who expect you to just recover after a bit and then be as you were again. They just either don't understand, having not suffered a close personal loss themselves yet or they just don't feel as touched by it, if they have, as you may do.

I don't think you are ever really the same after you lose anyone close to you and it affects your whole life. Grief reaches into every corner of it and changes you forever and changes your life and the way you see yourself and the world forever. Nothing will ever be the same as it was and getting to grips with that realisation is very hard. You grieve, not only for the loss of the person, but the person you used to be before it happened and the life you used to have. This new normal is not welcome and is very hard to adjust to and doing that is a long and difficult process and one that will take a long, long time.

You are not alone in making this journey though, Whitelillies. There are lots of us all over the place struggling with the same feelings and trying to deal with every day life as normal, when we actually can't, so we all put on a mask and pretend we are ok, because others expect it, but we're not and to acknowledge that, if only to yourself, is a step forward.

We are all here for as long as you need us.

Sending you a big hug..xx :hug: :hug:

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 11:28:55 AM »
Welcome Whitelillys i agree with Sandra it is really hard for people who have not been in this position to understand that this is so much more than missing some-one but changes our entire lives.
On top of that society has some expectations born of both tradition ( the victorian official year of mourning) and convenience - (the demands of the factory system that we "get over it and work" - whether that is literal or whether it refers too how others think we should function generally.

For me i think the term acceptance is not accepting they are gone then "move on"  as many people believe  - its about acceptance of grief as a state of being.

If you broke your legs you would have to go through certain stages before you could run again,and people would be more patient, more symapthetic, they can see your your plaster casts and crutches,they promote physio, they tell you not to do too much and you accept yourself that you cant rush the healing process etc etc  You might try and get out of bed and fall over - you will get sick of trying, and sick of being stuck in bed or on the crutches, and while you are on them you get painful blisters all over your hands and so the pain enters different areas that you may not have expected it too   -
but with grief no one can see the injury, no-one can explain how it will affect you because we are all different - sympathy is soon in short supply - there is no physio - yet you still get impatient with the length of your recovery, still fall over a lot still get pain you hadnt anticipated - but people dont accept that like they do with the brocken legs -

And just as with them,over time the pain will become more chronic than acute, but there will still be bad days,you will fall over and you will find ways in which pain appears where you didnt expect it too -
but you will find a painkiller that helps a little Not in a bottle from the chemists but maybe in better memorys of them, maybe in seeing the natural world, or feeling the sun on your back - you will find more comfortable positions to sit in,  but you will always have an ache that is worse on rainy days - and you will always have a limp, but you will start to live with those things and you will find a way to climb that mountain.
 Meanwhile be kind too yourself dont let others tell you what you should be feeling,and what you should be doing,sometimes people will move away from you and when they do that is their inability to cope with your grief, it isnt because there is something wrong with you - sometimes they will move back towards you as well and others will come into your life - just as when we make any other changes in life  even the lesser ones like going to different schools, moving to different places, growing up at a different pace - all those changes have ripples - new friends coming into our lives and loss of old some old ones i think with grief, recognising even that comes under the acceptance heading.

Come back write, chat, we will be here as long as you need us. :hug:

Offline WhiteLillies

• New Members
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 07:09:32 PM »
The physical illness analogy is so true! I do genuinely understand people feeling uncomfortable because they want to find a solution and there isn't one but it's so incredibly hard to not get angry. I've experienced losing friends as a result of a bereavement and knowing it could happen again just adds to that feeling of loss and that feeling of having no control and being powerless to stop things from happening. Thank you both for such a warm welcome xx