Author Topic: Oh for a cuddle.....  (Read 19450 times)

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
Re: Oh for a cuddle.....
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2016, 03:47:25 PM »
I'm sorry you're feeling so hurt today Brian. I think I understand what you are saying. I keep having good ideas that I 'should' be doing to try and help myself but then the thought scares me and I feel worse for a bit thinking that my future has no hope if this is what I'm going to be like. I think you ought to give it a go, maybe just one where they meet for a drink or a meal as they will be like minded with you- people who want that sort of thing. You know it will always be there even if it's not right at this stage. Try just for a pub and a drink and see what you think?

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2016, 09:52:45 PM »
Sorry you've had a bad day Brian. We have these ups and downs and I believe they are truly random. We search for triggers and reasons and it's easy to jump to conclusions like we are 'kidding ourselves'.

Rebuilding a social life is going to be really difficult after the years we have spent dedicated to one person. I am trying and, like you, nights out help temporarily but then it's back to the loneliness of the next day. That doesn't mean going out isn't good for us. You could look at it as meaning we need to go out more  :undecided:

Strangely the Leeds day out when we met was one if the days out that cheered me up for a few days. I put that down to us all being in the same boat so we didn't have to try so hard.

Chin up mate.

:hug:

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2016, 10:59:48 PM »
Sorry George.

I remember reading your post about Suki last night and thought I had replied. I lost a few posts last night due to being in a rush and refreshing the page before the replies half uploaded.

I can see how you would feel broken by the death of your dog. When I was younger I couldn't understand people getting attached to animals to the point of tears when they died. Then again I didn't have a pet. I've lost quite a few pets over the years cats, budgies, Guinea pigs, rabbits, snakes and all have left me upset in varying degrees but Billy us my first dog and I know I would be absolutely devastated to lose him.

To lose a loved pet a few weeks after losing a partner just as the numbness is wearing off would be enough to reduce anyone to tears.

Man hug

:hug:

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2016, 11:49:17 PM »
Man hug  :hug:

Thanks Hubby  :hug:  :smiley: .  Suki was our second Shih Tzu. When I had to take our first, "Charlie" to be put to sleep, I swore I would never have another dog purely because it was so devastating for me. I was outvoted by the family  :cheesy:. The sad truth is that we outlive our pets. For me last year the cumulative effect of two losses was completely debilitating for a while.

I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2016, 02:53:33 PM »
Sorry to hear about the sad loss of your beloved pet George,  I don't have one myself,  but can well understand how one can get very attached to them indeed, they become one of the family and our love for them is the same too.
I remember how my wife and I shed many tears when we lost Brandy our Yorkie some years ago,  and also tears when Westi our budgie passed away.   So...in a way...a double whammy for you.

Do you intend getting another one George ?     I had thought about it myself,   but I'm getting older and my own walking is not that brilliant these days,  plus I'm thinking... with me liking to get away fairly often that could be an issue too, and so I decided it would be kinder not to go that route.
You take care my friend.
 A man-hug from me too.   :hug:

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2016, 05:45:37 PM »
Thanks Brian. No I won't be having another dog as I wouldn't be able to look after one properly.

When we first got her (about 15yrs ago now) we talked about insurance and decided not to take a policy out. She cost us a fortune in vet's bills over the years, both her cruciate ligaments ruptured and each operation cost the best part of £1,000 and on another occasion she was taken mysteriously ill. We took her to the vets and she was kept in for obs and X-Ray. The vet rang us and asked whether we were in the habit of giving her mice. Her biggest treat was to have a small rubber squeaky mouse. She could de-squeak one is seconds but then would tear them into tiny pieces. She used to go berserk if she heard a new one being squeaked. Anyway we confirmed that she did play with them occasionally and we were told that she had got 2 in her stomach and 1 lodged in the top end of her intestine. Another £1,000 went on that and I've still got the 3 mice!  :smiley:  We worked out that the oldest must have been in there for over a year. Their eyes were missing so they were 3 Blind Mice.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 05:49:33 PM by longedge »

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2016, 09:17:24 PM »
I must admit she does look cute George,  with regard to vet bills...yes I know they can cost a fortune,  I remember the costs involved with our own two dogs in the past,  one time was when our neighbour gave the dog part of a chicken and a bone got lodged in his throat, it cost me £220 for a operation to remove it and that was years ago.

I was just telling my daughter about your dog as she phoned while I was reading your post, and she started telling me how much she spends on vets fee's for Leo her very elderly Labradore cross, who's 16 or 17 now, saying it costs her in total £110 every 3mths for the medicines and vet visit he has to have.   He has a massive tumour, indeed it's amazing he's survived as long as he has,  but he's been a most loyal and friendly dog for many years,  I think he was only a puppy when they 1st had him, so she will be very upset I'm sure when his time arrives.

You take care my friend.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 11:45:39 PM by Brian71 »

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2016, 11:13:31 PM »
I didn't mention that Suki had been diabetic for nearly two years as well. I had to inject her every day and the insulin and syringes were quite a heavy ongoing cost. Ah well - we love them don't we. She was actually 'mummy's dog' and afterwards when I started to think about what had happened I realised that I was very grateful that Chris didn't have that to go through as well. It was just a tiny consolation.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2016, 12:43:49 AM »
I wish billy looked as cute as that. He's normally snarling like in the picture attached.

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2016, 08:45:56 AM »
nah... that's a doggy smile Hubby  :laugh:

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2016, 11:00:18 PM »
I think it is but it's also he same face he pulls before he tears into his lead and, on a few occasions I haven't got my arm out if the way quickly enough, me. Lol

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2016, 07:23:42 PM »
Ouch.
I just got a nip off a neighbours dog.pure accident I was playing with it with a toy and it caught my finger.Next week
I,m having a Labrador to stay for a few nights next week it  could be interesting as he,s only met me once and in passing,and not been left with anyone before.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2016, 10:39:34 PM »
im sure you and the lab will love your time together Karena.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2016, 07:30:08 PM »
I hope so cos standing on his back legs he,s bigger than me. :rofl: