Author Topic: Films and TV  (Read 9219 times)

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Films and TV
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 08:16:55 PM »
Am I the only person in the country who doesn't like strictly or bakeoff. :rofl: Poldark has already started,I was enjoying Victoria but the two clashed and poldark potentially minus shirt won.I rarely watch films my DVD collection is definitely grandchild orientated mainly Disney. Although the gruffalo is probably one of my favourites.
Havnt seen into the woods but I did see James cordon sing on something and thought he was good.The TV is on more for company than anything it breaks the silence but most of the time I,m only half watching and doing something else.Full attention grabbing occurs on the rare occasion a wildlife documentary or gardening programme comes on though.David Attenborough and Monty don' are my TV hero's.

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 09:54:46 PM »
I've gone right off TV. Haven't switched on for at least 3 days now but I'm getting through audiobooks at a ridiculous rate. Just finished Alan Titchmarsh's "Mr Gandy's Grand Tour". I just love his style of writing and he narrates his books himself. I think he must have gone round the queue several times when they were handing out talent - or is it just because he's a Yorkshire lad  :grin:
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 05:58:59 PM »
David Attenborough is a total legend xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 08:47:45 PM »
Never done audio books but if you like a bit o Yorkshire Alan Bennets talking heads would probably be good as audio books.

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 09:05:24 PM »
Never done audio books but if you like a bit o Yorkshire Alan Bennets talking heads would probably be good as audio books.
Yes - not seen any audiobooks of his stuff but it's now on my list  :smiley:. There's another Yorkshireman who I love to listen to. Gervaise Phinn - ex school inspector and he also narrates his own books. Brilliant gentle comedy about life in Dales schools.

I think I've said it before, Chris would not believe it if she could see me now. She worked in local libraries and was only ever happy when surrounded by books. My TV doesn't get switched on for days at a time now. (oops just said that once didn't I but it's true anyway)

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 11:30:18 PM »
I don't know if it's just me but I get totally and completely hooked on certain music tracks. At the moment I spend almost every moment listening to two tracks by Boz Scaggs (not a favourite of mine otherwise) "Fly like a bird" and "Sierra". I think that it's a combination of his voice and the lyrics that do it for me.

Anybody else use Spotify? A few years ago it would have been unimaginable that you could just listen to virtually any recording at any time, when music first took my interest it was a crackly little radio tuned to Radio Luxembourg and then a bus to town the next day (if I could afford it) to stand in a queue in the record shop and buy what I wanted - rush home and stick it on the Dansette  :smiley:

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 07:17:16 PM »
Radio Luxembourg was my first vice,and was played on a big square transistor with a dial housed under my pillow as it was not approved listening in my house. :rofl:

Offline Tony07

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2016, 05:49:27 PM »
I used to listen to Radio Luxembourg as well, brilliant music (then) :yahoo:
amor vincit omnia

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2016, 06:48:10 PM »
Glad you didn't add "not like today's rubbish" cos that makes us the old fogeys we said we wouldn't become. :rofl: